“Take out your paper and pencil, it’s time to take notes” I start almost every reading and math lesson this way. It is sad to think I never considered other ways of taking notes. I do feel that I effectively teach the process of note taking. I encourage students not to write everything that is on the slide, I tell them that if they hear me say it over and over it is most likely important and needs to be written down. I stress the importance of taking notes to study for tests. I never thought about using technology to help with note taking. Upon reading the chapter on summarizing and note taking in the book Using Technology with Classroom Instruction the Works, I have a whole new insight. We have students use word processors in the most basic way possible, to type things. I am finding that I am just a beginner in my knowledge of word. I am finding more and more ways to use something as simple as word everyday. Going forward I believe I will take the time to make tools for my students to help them advance with their note taking and summarizing skills. I believe that using the Track Changes options, as discussed in the chapter, could be a great learning tool for students as they learn to edit their work (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). This I feel does tie into the idea of cognitive learning. Students are process the information and creating their own ways of remembering the information. They are able to make connections to the material thought the elaboration we include in our lessons. Dr. Orey discusses elaboration as important strategy to help students remember information (Laureate, 2010) I know that when my students are note taking it is one step in what we are doing. I then extend to an activity to help my students make connections to the skill.
The second strategy I looked at this week was cues, questions, and advanced organizers. This I feel is something that is done without really thinking about. We as teachers do not set our students up for failure. We give them information that is important before starting any new topic. It goes back to making connections for the students. We usually start a unit with looking at prior knowledge and see what is already known before we move on. If we realize that our students have no prior knowledge what do we do? We change our plan to give them some prior knowledge. For example, this week we are working on a story titled “What Rot!” and discussing recycling. Students had some prior knowledge as most of their carved pumpkins from Halloween have recently rotted and been thrown away. To further their understanding of the concept I brought in an apple and corer. I sliced the apple and left it opened to the air. We have watched each day as our apples have changed. This is allowing my students to gain experience that they did not have before. It also connects to cognitive learning because it allows for dual coding and elaboration as Dr. Orey discussed in his lecture (Laureate, 2010). This whole activity was based around questioning on how things rot.
These two strategies will definitely allow for teachers to teach for understanding. Note Taking and Summarizing allows for the students to take in the information and study it or show they understand it. Cues, questions, and advanced organizers allow helping further students understanding by organizing thoughts and ideas in a central location. These strategies along with aspects of cognitive learning help students learn more by making elaborate and good connections.
References:
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Program five. Cognitive learning theory [Webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
It is great that you are creating a memorable experience with the apple that your students will remember. It will make a strong connection in their brains and they will be able to recall the information that they learned. I try to do this with most of the standards that I teach. Next week I am teaching contractions to my first grade students. This is a standard that they struggle with each year. I came up with a way to teach them contractions that is fun and interactive. I feel that my students will remember what contractions are because there will be a meaninful connection made.
ReplyDeleteHi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteWhen I was teaching and wanted students to take notes while I was presenting new information, I would always say the same thing. Pencil and paper out and get ready! I have also been learning new ways to teach note taking as it is an important study skill that will be utilized throughout years of education. Word certainly has many purposes and note taking and summarizing can be enhanced through this program. Who knew?
Elaboration is how I think I learn many things. It creates a connection with a visual image to help to learn and memorize information. I know that there are probably students in my classroom who also learn this way. Next lesson, I want to not only teach my students about this phenomenon but also try to build connections with students. Some visual images may be similar among students but I also think that visual images to text are made with the students’ background knowledge being used. So, what I think may create a connection may not be the same visual with one of my students. When you used an apple to help not only build a connection but also prior knowledge, this is a connection that will be the same for the whole class. Glad to hear you were able to do this and I am sure that your students appreciated that process of elaboration.
HanNa Chung
HanNa and Rachel,
ReplyDeleteThank you. They really did like the connection of the apple. One student actually brought in a banana on Friday that has started to rot. She was so excited to make the connection and share it with the class. It takes such little extra effort to do these kinds of activities for students. I hope to continue to make connections for my students everyday.
Stephanie
Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteYou mentioned wanting to start using different ways to take notes, have you been able to utilize the use of note taking with your students using Word?
I also liked your idea of watching an apple rot over a few days. We do really need to come back to the idea of teaching to understand and to learn.
Meredith
Meredith,
ReplyDeleteNo I have not. I really wish I had one to one computers as I feel that this would better allow for this to happen. I will look into using this as a tool for next week. Thanks.
Stephanie