Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Constructionist and Hypotheses

“Constructionist focuses on getting kids to build stuff” (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010). Isn’t this the plan for any teacher? It is not like we just stand there and teach, teach, teach. Instead we teach something and then send our students off to complete some kind of activity. It may be something as simple as completing a graphic organizer or something more in depth like researching about something and creating a word document explaining what was learned. When we test our hypotheses we are conducting experiments. Those experiments are part of and leading to a final product of our learning.

This week I looked at the strategy of generating and testing hypotheses. This was a strategy that I look forward to incorporating more often. This time I was looking at the strategy in an aspect of using technology. This strategy is often thought of as a science resource (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p.202). This does not always need to be the case. Sometimes we can find ways to use this strategy in other subjects. We can have students make predictions, which is very much like generating a hypothesis. The students then work though their learning to test their predictions and come to conclusions.

One resource that I have been seeing used a lot while reading Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works is spreadsheets (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). This is software that I am not very familiar with. I have read different ways of incorporating spreadsheets and find it very interesting. It is definitely a strategy I want to learn more about and use them in the future.

Resources:
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Program seven. Constructionist and constructivist learning theories [Webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie,

    I am also not familiar with spreadsheets on a personal level or for classroom use. Honestly, I thought they were mostly used when working with numbers. Like when some people balance their checkbooks. I am so excited to also start using spreadsheets as a learning tool for my students. On idea I had for using spreadsheets was collecting data for our science experiments where they need to record temperatures throughout a given amount of time. They could use the spreadsheets to record and collect data, look for trends and patterns, and come up with predictions and make conclusions. In Social Studies, I thought that I could use spreadsheets to help make a timeline to keep track of important dates and events that we are learning about the American Revolution and Colonies. All in all, it would give students an opportunity to generate and test their predictions, create evidence, and see the effective uses of a spreadsheet for them to also choose to use it in their studies.

    This can also relate to project based learning where students are engaged in cooperative investigation which could be used while having students test their predictions about a concept. I am sure that you have done this instructional approach in some degree, but I would have to say that students will be able to learn not only the objectives but to plan, create, implement, and process their learning. It is known to increase motivation, collaboration, and problem solving skills of students.

    I haven’t taught in a classroom for a while now and really miss it! Just wondering, have you recently thought of any ideas on how you could incorporate generating and testing hypothesis in your classroom or engaged students in project based learning?

    HanNa Chung

    ReplyDelete
  2. HanNa,
    I have a student who is currently working with project-based learning. When we start a new topic he will research about that topic and create a notes document on word. I am working at making this more for him. I am also hoping to add a few students to the project-based learning area. It is a work in progress. I think I have so many ideas in my head that it is sometimes hard to sort them. I am still getting back on track with grading, planning, implementing, and taking care of the two kids at home. I have been back to work for over a month now and I still haven’t figured out how to juggle it all properly. I hope by winter break to have it down and be ready to implement many new things in 2011.

    Stephanie Cunningham

    ReplyDelete