I have found that with the impending end of the school year activities I have not been as successful as I had wished to be with my game plan. Students have been given time on the computer to send e-mails and have communicated a lot with me. I have not gotten any feedback from any other teachers about their communication. I still feel like I have made slight progress with that goal. I have also found that using new technologies is much easier then expected. I have used my computers much more often the last few days. I have had students using basic software, such as power point and word, and also work on the class wiki site. We have discussed podcasting and some students have started to conduct searches for examples to share with the rest of the class.
Are you finding the information and resources you need?
Yes, I am using internet searches and relying on my student’s ability to use some problem-based learning to look into new technologies. I am also finding myself having the students circulate through the computers and they like e-mailing each other or myself. One website my students found that was very beneficial to them was all about “What is podcasting” (Housley, n.d.) and gave them ideas for what they want to do their first podcast on.
Do you need to modify your action plan?
At this point in time I do not think I need to modify my plan. I think that I can use this last month of this school year to play with and perfect my plan to be better effective next school year. I am finding that I am meeting my goals faster then originally planned and that my students are enjoying the new learning. I do think it helps that I can concentrate on the technology itself and not just the learning content since we are at the end of the school year.
What have you learned so far?
I have learned that students can do things if you let them experiment alone. Some students are going to insist on you holding their hands and showing them how everything works. Some students are going to be fully capable of knowing the basics of something and be better at using it then you by the end of the activity. I have learned that it is not hard to incorporate a game plan and use it effectively. It takes some self control and work to maintain but is very beneficial.
What new questions have arisen?
How can I better monitor students’ ability to email as a form of digital citizenship? How can I allow for students to pick new technologies to experiment with in class? Is allowing the students to search ideas and create their own activities beneficial?
References:
Housley, S. (n.d.). What is Podcasting?. Podcasting Tools. Retrieved May 25, 2011, from http://www.podcasting-tools.com/what-is-podcasting.htm
Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteI also find the end of the year to be a difficult time to try to implement my GAME plan. I do find it fortunate that if I can wrap my head around my plan, I can become more successful at the start of the school year with implementing technology into the classroom, which is one of my goals. I feel that you will also have more success toward the beginning of next year once teachers get setteled. Also, you can mention to them about your GAME plan and offer them to join you. You can form a support system and include others with integrating your GAME plan into their professional development as well. Good luck and keep up the good work!
Stacey,
ReplyDeleteThanks! It is definitely something to play with now and then use next year. The support system sounds like a great idea. I really want to get more teachers on board with using web 2.0 tools in the classroom as they are not used to often. I should look into educating other teachers about the game plan and get them on board too. Great idea! Thanks!
Stephanie