Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Instructional Strategies and Behaviorism

“Homework is assigned to reinforce skills taught in class.” This is a line that I use often on progress reports and report cards. Students are assigned homework every night. I spent a lot of time making the homework to go off of the skills we are teaching that week. It allows for practice of those skills at home. It is very similar to the technique of drill and practice, which is often associated with behaviorist learning theory. We give homework not as busy work but as an extension to our lessons. It is like added teaching time but can be done without the teacher present. Look at most any school website that comments on homework and it states that homework is given to reinforce skills. (http://stcharlescatholicschool.org/Academics/homework.htm, and http://www.schools.manatee.k12.fl.us/801SRIKER/riker/homework.html for example)

As for reinforcing effort, this is something I had never thought about. But looking at it from the behaviorist perspective it is a way of reinforcement also. You give the students the rubric for effort and they are aware of what you are looking for. If they honestly grade themselves the first week and realize they are not putting forth enough effort they will work harder the following week to improve their grade. They will limit certain behaviors because they know it will affect their grades. You are reinforcing the behaviors you want present in the classroom by giving the students the rubrics. They of course are going to want to score highly and then the unwanted behavior, or lack of effort, will eventually subside or come to extinction.

So, these two instructional strategies do tie back into the idea of the behaviorist learning theory. They provide reinforcement and will allow for extinction or lowered unwanted behaviors. They also allow for punishment, because not doing your homework usually has a consequence. Also, low performance on effort can effect the students overall grade thus punishing them to having a lower score on report cards.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you that both of these instructional strategies are extensions of the behaviorist learning theory. Did you find any of the technology examples from the course resources this week that correlated with these strategies? Technology usage, if used effectively, can enhance these strategies in a positive way.

    Rachel Brewer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that my only hesitation with technology for the aspect of homework is that less then half my students have computer access at home. I actually sat in a PD yesterday on web 2.0 tools and found some interesting statistics. Less then 40 percent of the students in elementary school in our city have computer access at home. Of that half of them have internet access. How can I assign homework on the computer when they can not access it? I do use it in class though.

    I will say though that I plan on using the excel sheet idea for effort. I think that will help improve some of the issues I am currently having with participation. I have five students who are always raising their hands. They tend to carry the class and I keep explaining that we need to participate more often. Having them grade themselves on their effort will hopefully change this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie,

    I agree that homework is to reinforce skills taught in class as an extension to our lessons taught during the day. I personally spend a lot of time on making homework like you do as I want it to be meaningful and purposeful rather than to just have homework. Some days, I do not assign homework because of unexpected changes that happen in a lesson. For instance, if we are working on a concept in math and at the end of class I feel that giving my predetermined homework does not match what they have learned or they have not at least partially understood the concept, then I do not assign homework because it will not be helpful for students to go home and struggle on it for hours. But, part of assigning homework is also providing students with feedback. Feedback needs to be specific, detailed, and immediate. This is especially important for me because our school district does not grade on homework for students’ report cards. So, students knowing this, do not put forth much effort on their homework or bother completing it. This is why creating a homework policy for my classroom was crucial in motivating students to complete homework and to teach them the importance of it. The idea of rewards and punishments goes along with the behaviorist learning theory of reinforcing what is desired behavior and punishing behaviors that are undesirable. Do you have a homework policy that you have created or one that you follow from your school district that displays aspects of the behaviorist learning theory in practice?

    HanNa Chung

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie,
    I agree with you. I do homework on a daily basis, but I do not use technology as a requirement. Many of my students do not have computers at home. I do however use blogs and different technology resources as extra practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HanNa,
    I don't think my policy really shows the behaviorist learning theory. I check homework daily, students get to ask questions about their homework. If the students are missing three or more assignments I call home. I guess that is a punishment. Homework is 10% of their grade though so I stress that to them daily.

    Stephanie Cunningham

    ReplyDelete