Tuesday, May 17, 2011

G.A.M.E. plan follow through

As discussed last week, reflection is going to be a critical part of conducting my “GAME plan” (Cennamo, Ross, Ertmer, 2009). A plan can easily be made but takes a lot of work to maintain and execute. One week after creating my “GAME plan” I have little to show for it. I have started to look into my next use of technology. I am going back and forth between podcasts or a voice thread. With only four weeks left of this school year I want to be able to thoroughly use at least one new piece of technology. I have gone to the students to better gauge what they would like to do. We are currently working on making a podcast. We then hope to be able to extend this podcast into a voice stream that was we get to both.

What resources will you need to carry out your plan (video, reading, experts or colleagues, etc)? In order to carry out my plan I will need help from my colleagues, readings, internet searches, and research. I will need help from my colleagues to view our work and help my students and myself with different sources they know. Colleagues will also be expected to respond to students who choose to email them. I will need to encourage my colleagues to take the time to respond to students and inform them that their communication helps our students become more effective with technology. I will need to read and conduct internet searches to give me the research on the new technologies I will use with my students.

What additional information do you need? I do not need much additional information. I will be finding the information as I go along and using the information I feel necessary. I will need to assess my student’s knowledge and make sure they are progressing on their learning while using technology. I also need to have a way to monitor my student’s ability to communicate though technology by allowing them time to communicate with others through the use of their email accounts. I need to find an appropriate way to assess this skill.

What steps have you been able to take so far? So far I have discussed the first new technology skill I want to use with the students. Some students have voiced concerns about recording their voices while others are very excited to start creating their podcast. I have also set a schedule for students to use the computer to write an email to a teacher. I choose to make the students email a teacher first because I could better monitor this by having any teacher who received an inappropriate email let me know about it. Students have not yet started their email process because of working on finishing up our monthly benchmarks first. It is something I hope to have started by the end of this week.

Overall I would say that I am making progress with my GAME plan. Being one week into the plan I feel that I have a good start with the activities I want to achieve. Even though it is the end of the school year I am still working strong towards my plan so that I can perfect it for next school year.

References:
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie,
    I would say another thing to do that will help point you in the right direction on which technologies to use would be to find out what interests your students as well as what technologies they are interested in using.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meredith,
    I agree with you. I know these students quite well, and being that there is only four weeks of school left I can even benefit from asking the students for suggestions. Next school year will be a new interesting look.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete